Voyager Megs

lasergunpewpew

Okay, So I couldn't get the insert image to work properly, so I just said screw it I'll just link it directly.

Thanks to member No Less Than a God for informing that they restocked at TRU so I could've picked this up. I hope the quality is good enough. My sister's camera died after a few pictures.

Here are the views of the alt mode.

Front view Alt mode

megatron alt side

I do not own Leader Megatron yet but the kibble is the same. The head sticks out with a little flap covering it. This time it's a piece of ice. The middle of the Jet is hollow basiclly. The legs form the body of the jet and connect to the back by a peg. The vertical blue ice shards at the end of the wings are made of rubber, just like Cybertron Vector Prime. When you Fold the wings up and Pull out the flames giving Megs his full wing span, you have its attack mode.

Megatron alt Attack mode

There's a switch at the very rear that when you pull it, the wings Pinch together making his alt mode a claw.

Pinch!

The transformation for the figure is incredibly simple. You really don't need the instructions at all. The arms come apart, with the cannon that forms the nose of the plane connected to the left arm. When you disconnect the pegs from Meg's legs to back pieces, snap the waist down from the horizontal to the vertical position. and at this point just push the ice piece down, twist the arms a lil bit, put the back piece vertically and you're done. I may have left out a things or two but that's the jist of it. It's very quick once you learn it.

Overall the Jet and the transformation look like they took a few pointers from Gundam Wing.

Megatron!

Back

With Voyager Ratchet

Yep he's shorter than Ratchet. The stupid ice on the chest piece actually blocks his semi-decent chest. It's sole purpose is really to cover his head in the alt mode. My camera isn't really good enough for the face, so I couldn't take a clear picture of it. The eyes though are blue and the rest of the face is pretty much black. It's not Bad looking but it isn't detailed and somewhat sloppy just like all the other voyager faces (Ratchet and Ironhide). Overall though, I like how the figure looks. The ice isn't that bad really. If you look at him from behind, he does kind of remind me of a transmetal from Beast Wars. The ice shards on the wings look more like feathers.

The attack mode he had in alt mode also applies in his robot mode. Lift the back up to a horizontal position and pull the wings out fully and you'll get the same pinching action. Though it's inherently kind of flawed from my experience with it so far since the shoulders almost always get in the way of it. Overall it's a pretty lame gimmick, but I guess it was good effort.

Robot mode attack mode

Now for articulation. If you look at the attack mode picture, that's as far as the legs will go. He has two things protruding from the thigh up at the waist which keep his legs from going any further out. Still though, you can get him in decent poses even with this limitation. The legs and knees all click when you move em, so they usually stay in the pose you put them in. The feet are ball jointed and Megs has 3 toes, one big flat toe which isn't really a toe and two actual toes at the back of his feet. They're a spring loaded to close automatically so they usually stay closed if they're not being used. The ball jointed feet can be both a blessing and a curse. They work well when he's on two feet, but when you try to get him on one foot it doesn't really help. His thumb claw is movable and all of them are made out of rubber, kind of like starscream's claws.

One foot holding a pencil

You can see in this picture if you're careful you can have him hold something in one foot. His foot is really like a 3 fingere'd hand. Though at an angle, his leg can't go that high since there's the aesthetics I mentioned at the top of his thigh keeping it from bending too far. The waist can spin 360 and the arms are pretty flexible. His head can turn all directions and look up and down at a very slight angle.

You can get him in some pretty good poses.

megatron kicking

closer up of kick

Grrrr

Tackle!

Hopefully this review was helpful, especially for those who aren't sure about the voyager megatron. I liked it overall. It's articulation is good enough, and it's robot mode is pretty good looking. Though the Alt mode is somewhat lacking just like the LC one and the transformation is pretty simple. The rubber parts don't help either. Bottom line though, I like this figure, but once again, Hasbro could have done much better. From me though, this figure gets an 8/10.

EDIT:

Actually now that I really think about it, I think maybe a 7. And these 7 points are purely from its robot mode. I don't think this figure should get a failing score but its alt mode is flat out sloppy and transforming it i think the whole "ice" concept is an excuse for that sloppiness. Its simplicity in transformation really does remind me of Gundam wing and its bird mode. So while Voyager Megatron's robot mode is pretty solid in my opinion, this figure's alt mode, transformation scheme, concept and design all bring this figure down. It's as if the designer was playing with his gundam wing model / figure while designing this.

Gundam Wing

Legs = throttles, gun = nose, hands = claws

Thanks mate that's an excellant review and has helped me out a great deal. I don't want to spend the 40 pounds sterling on a leader megs, so I was hopeing the Voyager would stand up, and it would appear it does.

I'm just not sure about the ice. Does it look ok in one's hand? I wonder if there's a repain on the way.

Thanks again.

I think the figure definitely looks better in person than in pictures. The ice isn't really too bad, but like everyone else I do wish it was just Megatron and not him out of the ice. I would have wished they actually made a chest piece instead of just the sheet of ice. I have no gripes about the figure itself in robot mode. I guess it's really the alt mode and the ice that takes away from it. I probably should change that 8 to a 7 just because of this really even though I'm pretty satisfied with the figure. Hmm... lemme edit this.

I feel like the only person that actually likes the ice. I'm a sucker for an in-story figure instead of one that just represents the toy at rest. I think it's great that the line has things like this guy and final battle Jazz. Plus with the ice looking feathery it gives megs a kind of Demon/Angel look about him.

BTW, thanks for the nod :)

edit: I just realized what your name says LoL :rofl :rofl

I must say I like my Voyager Megs. The Ice isn't so bad, the only thing I really don't like about it is the fact the wings aren't long enough in vehicle mode... If you went me to put up some better pics, I can...

It's obviously nerdy of me, but when I saw it I instantly felt like it was less like ice and more like energy, like his body went unstable and it was barely holding itself together containing all the raw power. Like...uh...blue Allspark Megatron or something.

But, yeah. I love Voyager Megatron. He's really awesome to me. Anybody know how to get those feet from folding back in on themselves and keeping them flat?

Stand him on something, otherwise they go back...

Archived